So today I made my first pavlova and it is the best thing I’ve eaten ever – the crunchy sweet meringue mixed with the soft cream and tart berries. It’s everything the world needs! Here is my recipe – I changed it a little bit, actually a lot, I know how I like my meringue and everything so I guess you could say that this is an original recipe 😉 (I wish)
For the meringue
6 free range eggs – any size preferably the largest if using mixed sizes
325g caster sugar
Pinch of sea salt
Splash of vinegar – any works
For the cream
600 ml double cream
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 tablespoons of caster sugar
For the sauce
2 handfuls of strawberries – frozen or fresh works
Lemon juice – half of 1 medium lemon
90g caster sugar
Any fruit can be used – just ensure that they will work well together, I used fresh and frozen strawberry and frozen blueberries as they are what I had on hand.
For the meringue:
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius, since my oven is a fan oven I preheated it to 140.
- Put egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk until frothy, gradually add sugar, salt and vinegar and increase speed until firm peaks that stand up by themselves. 7-8 minutes of whisking should do this, if grainy the whisk for a little bit longer ensuring that the meringue doesn’t collapse.
- Line two large trays with baking paper and divide the meringue evenly between the two. Shape each one into circles the same shape and bake for about 1 hr, depending on the thickness of the meringue it could take longer or shorter.
For the sauce:
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and allow sugar to dissolve before allowing it to gently boil. Gently mash up the strawberries and allow to cool.
For the cream
- Add everything into a bowl and whisk until softly whipped, it can go from perfect to butter like in no time so try to be careful or have some spare cream.
I got a bit excited and forgot to take a picture but here are the leftovers, you could also use canned whipped cream but you may need to buy a few.
- Place the meringue onto a flat surface, layer on cream, add some of the sauce, add some berries, add more cream if you like and then put on the second half of meringue. Add more cream to the top, add some sauce and add some more berries and voila! You are done and can dig in to your delicious dessert.
Bye guys! Hope you enjoy and if you make this let me know how yours turned out! Byee x